Easy Pie Crust Recipe (V >
This homemade pie crust recipe yields a flaky tender crust with rich buttery flavor. It has simple, normal elements and makes use of only butter (NO SHORTENING). Also, discover how to form a fluted pie rim and “blind bake” or pre-bake pie crust.
This submit could have affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
This pie dough recipe yields two single crusts or 1 double crust. Homemade pies are irresistibly tasty. I’ve never ever been content with a shop-purchased pie the very same way. The taste and texture of an all-butter pie crust can’t be beat and understanding what went into it will make you feel like ‘Martha Stewart’ (or should I say ‘Natasha’s Kitchen’… I couldn’t resist) ). Watch the V >
We included Amazon affiliate hyperlinks beneath to our favorite resources for creating pie dough!
Substances for Butter Pie Crust Dough:
It doesn’t get any less complicated than this and you probably previously have every little thing you need to have to make homemade pie dough: Flour, sugar, salt, butter and water. The butter need to be chilled straight out of the fridge so you don’t have to strategy ahead to make pie dough.
How to Make Homemade Pie Crust in four Effortless Actions:
- In a food processor, pulse collectively flour, sugar and salt.
- Add COLD diced butter and pulse till coarse crumbs and some pea-sized pieces form.
- Include 6 Tbsp ice water and pulse just till moist clumps/ tiny balls of dough kind. Pinch a piece of dough amongst your fingers and if it sticks with each other, it’s done. If not add much more ice water one tsp at a time.
- Transfer dough to a clean perform surface, and gather collectively into a ball. Resist the urge to knead the dough – it must not be smooth. Divide dough in half and flatten into 2 disks. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate one hour before using.
Cook’s Tip: Do not add also much water or it will be sticky and tough to roll.
How to Roll and Transfer Pie Dough:
Dust function surface with flour and roll a single crust into a twelve circle. Wrap your pie dough close to your rolling pin. If it sticks to the work surface use a foods scraper or spatula to loosen it as you go.
Very carefully transfer crust to 9 pie dish and unroll it into the pan. Gently press dough down down to line the pie dish. Tuck extra dough beneath itself to make a thick double layered edge (no waste!).
Do I want a Meals Processor to Make Pie Dough?
You can use a pastry cutter to reduce the butter into the flour/sugar/salt mixture by hand. Stick to the identical cues for when to include the water. Following water is additional, use a spatula to reduce the water into the dough till evenly moistened.
Can I make Pie Dough in Advance?
You can prepare the crust and refrigerate up to three days ahead. Soften slightly at room temperature before rolling it out.
To freeze pie dough: wrap and seal airtight then freeze up to three months. Thaw totally prior to rolling.
How to Pre-bake Pie Crust (Blindbake):
Some recipes phone for a pre-baked pie crust and this is how you blind bake:
1. Type your edge. The simplest strategies are crimping the rim by pushing all all around the edge with a fork, or forming a fluted rim (see tutorial beneath). Location pie crust in the freezer thirty minutes which will support the crust bake more evenly with out sliding down.
2. Line the center with a 9-10 ring of parchment paper and fill about 2/3 complete with pie weights (*see under). Preheat oven to 375F and bake for 20 minutes. Eliminate pie weights, prick the bottom of the crust all in excess of with a fork and location back in the oven without weights for 15 minutes or till golden.
How to Flute a Pie Crust:
To type a fluted pie rim, hold your thumb and index finger an inch apart on the outside edge of the crust and press between them with the index finger of the other hand. Move all around the edges of the pan repeating the motion to develop a fluted rim.
*What Can I use Rather of Pie Weights?
When you pre-bake an empty crust a.k.a. “blind-bake,” the dough tends to puff up and rise. Utilizing pie weights solves this dilemma. Right here are some option to store-bought pie weights.
- Dry Raw Beans – beans must not be used for cooking following a blind bake but can be re-utilized to blind bake pie crust.
- Dry Raw Rice – If utilizing rice, it gets to be toasted and can be used for cooking in pilaf recipes after it is use to prebake a pie crust
Pie Recipes to Discover:
- Ideal Peach Pie – So juicy excellent and strikingly beautiful
- Plum Pie – with an sudden crust that couldn’t be less complicated!
- Apple Pie – this pie is epic, just get a peek within
- How to Make a Lattice Pie– it’s remarkably effortless
View How to Make Butter Pie Crust:
See Natasha make her go-to pie crust recipe. If you take pleasure in our video clips, please subscribe to our cooking channel on Youtube and click the bell icon so you will be the 1st to know when we submit a new video!
Thank you so a lot for subscribing! We are so enthusiastic to have over 300K subscribers on Youtube and it’s increasing fast.